Monday, April 6, 2015

My Second Opening Day



Believe it or not, today marks only the second MLB Opening Day I will have ever attended, despite my lifelong baseball fandom. I will be watching the Astros face the Cleveland Indians in Houston although my heart will be in Kansas City. I wish I could see the Royals get the AL Championship rings!!!

My first Opening Day occurred when I was a junior in high school in 1999. That team included players such as Kevin Appier, Jeff Mongomery, Joe Randa, and the formidable outfield trio of Johnny Damon, Carlos Beltran and Jermaine Dye. Unfortunately, that team finished with a 64-97 record and Kevin Appier was traded on the trade deadline. But I had a great time that Opening Day, skipping out of school at lunchtime and heading up 40 highway to the back entrance of the Truman Sports Complex. We played a little catch in the parking lot then headed into The K, where my friends’ dad bought a bratwurst smothered in sauerkraut and mustard literally as soon as he walked in the gates. This was new to me as I had never eaten a brat before (I was 17 yrs old, give me a break), but he let me have a bite and OMG that is what Opening Day is about – brats and baseball. I don’t remember what happened that game; however, I do recall that I did not miss a single day of school that year but I was not rewarded for perfect attendance because of missing that half-day on Opening Day. IT WAS WORTH IT. 

Today, I will have a chance to relive that beautiful memory as my wife and I will head to Minute Maid Park in eastern downtown Houston this afternoon to see the 2014 Gold Glove pitcher Dallas Keuchel face off against the 2014 AL Cy Young winner Corey Kluber. I cannot wait. I might have to buy a brat smothered in kraut and mustard!

In other news, I got to see my beloved Royals finish their Spring Training with a second exhibition game here in Houston this past Saturday. We arrived early so my wife could get some autographs. On Friday, it was Lorenzo Cain who was signing for everyone, and Saturday it was Eric Hosmer. He signed a jersey for her, and then we also got Alcides Escobar and Omar Infante to sign it. 
Eric Hosmer signing autographs
We also got a chance to try the Astros new chicken and waffle cone (pic below), which consisted of a waffle cone filled with mashed potatoes and popcorn chicken, with honey mustard and chives drizzled over everything. It was so amazing that my wife and I decided to make our own chicken and waffle cones at home later that night. 
There weren't many fans at the game as you can see in the pics below, but there was plenty of Royal blue!
Sure are lots of fans there!
Beautiful view from right center field
The game itself was very laid-back. Jason Vargas pitched great in a short outing for the Royals, then all of the younger guys who will start the season in the minors came out. The Astros struck first in the 5th inning and it was 1-0 until Alex Gordon grounded out scoring Whit Merrifield. The Royals scored 2 more small ball runs when the Astros made a fielder’s choice and then later their prize prospect Carlos Correa dropped an easy out and fired the ball into the stands behind first base. Kind of scary. Later the Astros had a chance to score but their runner got caught in a rundown. It was nice to see the Royals win both games in Houston, but it was also sad because we may not get to see them in person again for a few months. 
Vargy!
For all of you in KC, Hy-Vee is offering AL Championship flags for $10 today until they run out. I would like 2 please. Shoot me an email for my home address, and enjoy your Opening Day! Let's go Royals!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment