Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Winter (court) storms



I usually reserve this blog for posts about my beloved Kansas City Royals but after witnessing the aftermath of K-State’s victory over rival University of Kansas last night, I felt compelled to speak out in defense of my alma mater.  

First of all, KU, you lost. Get over it. You were ranked in the top 10 and lost to a team with a losing record. Of course they are going to storm the court so QUIT WHINING ABOUT THAT. You guys basically did the same thing after a meaningless conference football win. In fact listen to YOUR OWN FANS:

Second, YOU LOST TO A TEAM WITH A LOSING RECORD. You can act as high and mighty as you want but doing so just shows your cockiness and lack of humility. Face it, your team is not as consistent as years past. What you really need is a dose of mediocrity to bring your egos back to earth. And if your team never has a mediocre season, THEN YOU ARE GOING TO JUST HAVE TO PUT UP WITH THE COURT STORMINGS. Again, listen to your own fans:
 
Third, for whatever reason, court storming is allowed in college basketball. Since your basketball program is normally pretty good, you are going to be a target for students storming the court when they beat you. You need to accept this fact of life and close your beaks. We are tired of hearing your squawking (or whatever jayhawks do) because no one else whines about court storming as much as you do. 

Fourth, safety is your only legitimate complaint about court storming, but in all reality, when was anyone’s safety in question last night? Watch all the videos. Aside from some idiot bumping ku player Jamari Taylor and some ku staff member putting a student in a headlock and shoving him, there was no real danger. I should know because I have been part of a court storming myself. In fact, I actually experienced a threat to my safety while storming the court as a grad student at the University of Iowa. The Hawkeyes beat Purdue, who were ranked #6 at the time, and along with hundreds of other students, I rushed the court. The problem was that I dropped my phone and fell trying to pick it up. As a result, I had to endure many students rushing by me without noticing me and I took several knees to my head and my phone ended up being knocked into several pieces. After 15-20 seconds, it was over and I found every piece of my phone (which still worked after I put it back together), and celebrated the win. I took a risk rushing the court, the same as the students did in Manhattan last night. Ku fans all reacted as if K-State was sending SWAT members with loaded rifles to bash in your players heads. Look at this person’s tweet:
Bill Self “getting crushed”? Really?! Bruce Weber looks like he is “getting crushed” too but there is no mention of that. Bill Self was fine, Jamari Taylor was fine, and presumably the K-State student who was shoved by the ku staff member was fine. College basketball will survive another day, in spite of the K-State students rushing the court. 

Finally, the K-State family had something to celebrate last night. Let the Wildcat Nation have their moment in an otherwise dreary season.  Also, ku fans would do well to just CHILL OUT, especially after revealing their ugly side after a loss earlier this month. And in case you were wondering, those comments from ku fans came directly from kusports.com.

#EMAW  

No comments:

Post a Comment