Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Opening Day Eve

True story:

Throughout all of my time in high school, I missed exactly one and a half days. I was sick one day during my freshman year, and in 2000, when I was a junior (save your jokes about my age for later and get off my lawn, ok?), one of my friends' dad had 4 tickets to Royals Opening Day, so me and him left school at lunch time to join his dad and a friend, and we took in the game.

At that high school, you were allowed to miss half a day and still get credit for perfect attendance. For some reason my half day was considered a full absence, and I did not get credit for perfect attendance. I am still bitter about this, 18 years later (again, save the damn jokes about my age SHEESH).

I digress. The point is that today is Opening Day Eve, and I have tickets to my second Royals Opening Day ever (and third overall because I attended Opening Day for the Astros in 2016) and I am very excited. My current overall record is 2-0 on Opening Day. THAT MEANS I AM UNDEFEATED ON OPENING DAY FOR THOSE WHO ARE KEEPING SCORE. The Royals should give me tickets to every Opening Day FOR THE REST OF TIME, particularly because their Opening Day record is a paltry 25-24.

Other notable Royals' Opening Day facts:
  • The Royals won their first ever Opening Day in 1969, beating the Twins 4-3
  • Their longest Opening Day winning streak is 5, from 1975-79; their longest Opening Day losing streak is also 5, set from 1986-1990
  • The most runs they have scored in one Opening Day game is 12, back in 1973, and they have been shutout twice on Opening Day, including last year when they lost 2-0 to the A's. 
  • They have thrown one shutout on Opening Day themselves in 2003 vs the White Sox
  • Their most common Opening Day opponents include: the Twins 8 times, the White Sox 6 times, the Tigers and Orioles and Blue Jays 5 times each, the Yankees 4 times, the Indians and A's 3 times. 
  • The Royals have only played Opening Day in March two times prior to this year, winning in 2003 and losing in 2011. 
Interesting stuff. In preparation for the game, the Royals Grounds Crew has been hard at work painting the field. I must say, VERY NICE JOB!
Hard at work getting things sized right
Painting
The final product!
Hope to see y'all at the game tomorrow! LETS GO ROYALS!



No comments:

Post a Comment