Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mother’s Day Miracle

As the Royals squeak through May, they are testing the patience of their fans. They began the month losing their first 5 games and are currently 4-7 for the month after splitting their series with the Mariners in Seattle. I am praying May 2013 does not repeat itself.

The Royals found out today that home runs can help you win baseball games. Who would have thought? Alcides Esco-baller smacked a grand slam (the Royals first since last season), and Johnny Giavotella followed with a 3-run shot that won the game. I can’t remember the last time the Royals scored that many runs off of home runs. Most of their home runs have been solo shots, so it almost felt like watching a real MLB team today! Below is a picture of me and my reaction when Gio rocked his game-winning blast:
As a team, the Royals have hit 16 home runs so far, dead last in baseball and 6 fewer than the New York Mets. They are on pace for FEWEST HOME RUNS HIT BY A GROUP OF SPORTSMEN IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD. I am fairly certain that Eddie Gaedel (below) could do better by himself given a full season in “the bigs.” (sidebar: I know this is gross hyperbole, but I don’t care. The Royals don’t make it easy to be a fan).
Nevertheless, it is Mother’s Day and the Royals hit 2 long balls today and I will celebrate those home runs, as well as all of the mothers that have given birth to great men, such as myself and Alcides Escobar.
Pitching-wise, Jeremy Guthrie gave up 3 home runs of his own, and now leads the MLB having allowed 11 home runs this season. Awful. I like him as a pitcher and he seems like he is great in the clubhouse but throw us a bone, dude, and stop giving up home runs.

In other news, there is talk that Mike Moustakas might be sent down to Omaha:
 I have to say, it’s about time. Moose has 16 hits in 109 at bats, good for a measly .147 batting average. His defense has been decent all season and he leads the Royals in home runs with 4, but that is clearly not enough production. My reaction upon seeing that Moose might be sent down:
I apologize for the excessive use of the Internet Kid Meme, but it is a very accurate depiction of me while watching the Royals today.
The Royals head back to KC to play their next 9 games against the Rockies, Orioles and White Sox at Kaufmann Stadium.

Happy Mother’s Day and Go Royals!

No comments:

Post a Comment